NSDI Present Status
- DST constituted a Task Force with Surveyor General of India as Chairman and then Brig now
Major General Dr Siva Kumar as Head of NSDI along with NRDMS on 30 October 2000.
- NSDI strategy was adopted in 2001.
- NSDI Metadata Standards-version 1 released.
- NSDI Exchange(NSDE)-version 1 released.
- As on date 17 Nodal Agencies are affiliated to NSDI who are major contributors to NSDI development.
- NSDI has developed and maintained standard digital collection of spatial data by bringing in standardisation to the total process of format conversion,access and inter-operability.
- Two courses have recently been concluded successfully at NSDI to increase the awareness of the importance of metadata which is going to be published on India Geo-Portal.
- India Geo-Portal launched on 22 December 2008 by Shri Kapil Sibal, the then Hon'ble Minister for Science and Technology and Earth Sciences,Govt. of India.
- With launch of India Geo-Portal,NSDI has become the first govt. agency to host OGC compliant metadata on the web which will be helpful in planning for development activities of the nation as such.
- The Geo-Portal includes OGC compliant Web-services: WMS,WRS,CS-W.It will facilitate nodal agencies to uplink their metadata,Product-catalogue and other services through an SSO 128 bit encryption based secured communication.