Spatial data infrastructure is a collection of technologies, policies and institutional arrangements to facilitate availability of and access to spatial data, acquired and held by different agencies and organizations to a vast, diverse and ever growing community of users and promote the use of the spatial data infrastructure at community, local, state, regional and national levels for sustained economic growth; And whereas the Government of India proposes to establish a national infrastructure known as the National Spatial Data infrastructure ("NSDI") for the purposes 0f acquiring, processing. storing, distributing and improving utilization of spatial data which would be a gateway of spatial data being generated by various agencies of the Government of India; AND WHEREAS the data producing agencies of the Government of India shall be initially the contributing agencies to the NSDI and that Government through the National Spatial Data Committee ("NSDC") shall facilitate participation of other data producing agencies for such purpose; NOW THEREFORE the Government of India has accordingly decided to establish NSDC with the composition, functions and powers as specified in this resolution:-
The NSDC shall consist of the following permanent Members (ex-officio capacity):
On and from such date and term as may be decided by the NSDC, the NSDC can appoint the following additional Members:
- Hon'ble Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Science & Technology, GoI -- Chairman
- Secretary, Department of Science & Technology,GoI -- Member
- Secretary, Department of Space, GoI -- Member
- Secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs, GoI -- Member
- Secretary, Ministry of Defense, GoI -- Member
- Secretary, Ministry of Water Resources, GoI -- Member
- Secretary, Department of Land Resources, GoI -- Member
- Member Secretary, Planning Commission. -- Member
- Secretary, Ministry of Environment & Forest, GoI -- Member
- Secretary, Ministry of Urban Development, GoI -- Member
- Secretary, Department of Ocean Development, GoI -- Member
- Secretary, Ministry of Mines, GoI -- Member
- Secretary, Ministry of Information Technology, GoI Member
- Registrar-General, Census of India Member
- Surveyor General, SOI/Director, NRSA -- Member Secretary
- maximum of 5 (five) Secretary rank officials of the Government of India or State Government departments whose activities are related to the NSDI.
- maximum of 5 (five) Experts having experience and qualifications in the fields related to NSDI - Geographical Information System (GIS), Remote Sensing, Digital Mapping, Photogrammetry, Spatial and Non-spatial databases, Information Technology, Networking, Software, Business Management, Law and other related fields.
- maximum of 5(five) representatives from industry, academia and NGO's.
Functions and Powers of the NSDC
NSDC shall be the apex national authority for formulation and implementing appropriate policies, strategies and programmes for the establishment, operation, management of the NSDI and utilization and any other activities related to spatial data in the country. As part of this, the NSDC will:
- Determine the requirement of spatial data in the country and require the creation or collection of spatial data to fill such requirement.
- Formulate and position policies on all aspects related to the NSDI -including its establishment, access, pricing etc.
- decide and arbiter on issues relating to spatial data generation and its availability in the country;
- promote and enable investment in the spatial business sector and to create an environment that encourages competitive excellence;
- promote the development of human resources in the spatial data sector by encouraging existing training institutes, universities, institutions offering specialized courses, etc to undertake human resources development activities for NSDI;
- promote advanced research related to the NSDI activities and enable an ambience of R&D for NSDI in the country;
- require any Member, persons, entities or organizations to provide access to any data at such costs as may be reasonable;
- aid and advise the central Government on any matter related to or connected with the NSDI;
- enter into appropriate arrangement with any third party to undertake any specific activity connected with or related to any of the activities of the NSDI, including marketing, data generation, data assimilation, access, consulting, commercial exploitation of any data, etc.
- Do all such acts and deeds that may be necessary, beneficial or otherwise desirable to achieve the objectives of the NSDI.
Establishment of Executive Committee of NSDI
The NSDI Executive Committee shall have the following members (ex-officio capacity):
- Surveyor General of India -- Chairman.
- Director, National Remote Sensing Agency -- Co-Chairman
- Joint Secretary, Department of Science & Tech. -- Member
- Joint Secretary, Department of Space -- Member
- Director General, Geological Survey of India -- Member
- Director, Nat. Bur. of Soil Survey and land use Planning -- Member
- Director, Forest Survey of India. -- Member
- Chairman, Central Ground Water Board -- Member
- Chairman, Central Water Commission -- Member
- Director-General, India Meteorology Department. -- Member
- Director-General, National Informatics Centre -- Member
- Representative of Registrar-General, Census of India. -- Member
- Director, National Atlas and Thematic Mapping,(NATMO) -- Member
- Chief Executive Officer, NSDI -- Member Secretary
In addition, the NSDC may appoint for a specified term, on recommendation of the Chairperson of NSDI Executive Committee, Eight (8) Experts having experience and qualifications in the fields related to NSDi- Geographical Information Systems (GIS),Remote Sensing, Digital Mapping, Photogrammetry, spatial and Non -spatial Database, Information Technology, Networking, Software, Business Management, Law and other related fields.
Functions and Powers of the Executive Committee
NSDI Executive Committee shall undertake any and all implementing and executive functions for and on behalf of the NSDC including functions as may be prescribed by regulations framed by the NSDC in this connection or otherwise as directed or delegated upon the NSDI Executive Committee by the NSDC. Such functions and powers would include:
- To define and ensure implementation of national standards for NSPI activities and to enable a smooth establishment and access to NSDI;
- To constitute technical, financial or oth.er sub-committees to establish the NSDI and any other objectives and functions under the Act;
- To define and formulate rules and procedures for enabling NSDI databases servers, networks and access rules and filters;
- To aid and advise the NSDC on any matter related to or connected with its functions and the NSDI;
- To advise the NSDC on expanding the scope of NSDI by including newer spatial and non-spatial data and enabling a larger participation in NSDI;
- To undertake activities to attract new entrants, private sector participation and stimulate innovation related to NSDI;
- To encourage and set into operations value-added-services relatir-,9 to the usage of NSDI for supporting developmental and economic activities;
- To do all such acts and deeds that may be necessary, beneficial or otherwise desirable to achieve the objectives of the NSDI.
Rules & Procedures
NSDC shall have power to frame rules and procedures for the conduct of its business. The Committee shall meet at such time and places as fixed by the Chairman